I didn’t get a lot of things right in terms of what I needed for my baby. I was the typical first time mom that found these lists online that said ALL babies love this and that, so of course I though “yeah I definitely have to get that”. In reality I had the baby that wasn’t fond of a lot of the things we got. The bassinet? no way you’re forcing me to sleep in there, I’ll sleep in your arms, thank you very much. Swaddle blanket? Don’t even think about it? I just spent 9 months confined in your belly, you can’t contain me anymore! Moby wrap? ITS WAY TOO HOT FOR THIS! White noise? just stop it you’re embarrassing yourself now. I’m 99% sure Arren thought all those things at one point or another and who can blame him, obviously he’s his own person!
The one thing I got completely right was my diaper bag. I don’t have a lot of unnecessary things in it, but I have quite a lot in it, and I use it all when we go out. A lot of what people said to put in your diaper bag I found a little bit ridiculous. Why would a newborn want a teether at that age?
WHAT’S IN MY DIAPER BAG
Here is my list of what you really need in your diaper bag.
- Bag;First you need a bag. I decided to get a backpack that I liked instead of getting a specific diaper bag. Why? well as soon as companies hear the word baby , they seem to charge double the price. I know you get a lot of really nice diaper bags out there, but I wanted one that I was going to like and that didn’t break the bank. I chose one with two compartments, because no one wants a pee covered outfit close to snacks.
2.I made these little baggies when I was pregnant for my diaper bags to keep everything separate and so I don’t have to dive around in my bag looking for things ,not finding them, when a poopsplosion happens. Arren is all about Mr Crinkle, he is a first pocket must have for us.
3. In my first little baggy I keep his travel mat, disposable diapers, bum cream, wet wipes and hand sanitizer. I always carry hand santizer with me for those strange diaper changes and because diaper changing can be gross.
4. In the second compartment I have another baggy, snacks, a sturdier bag, a blanket, 2 muslin cloths and my wallet. The muslin cloths are a lifesaver when it comes to taking Arren out in public. This guy only fully pees when the diaper is off, it causes a lot of wet surfaces and awkward moments.
5. In the baggy I have a spare outfit, two smaller burp clothes for actual vomit burps, extra socks, a little hat, extra breast pads and a ziplock baggy. I carry a ziplock baggy with in case his clothes get wet.
6.The medicine baggy. I have a tiny eco friendly/ baby friendly sunscreen, little scissors for when hair gets stuck around his little fingers, and his nail clippers. I keep the nail clippers in his bag so I don’t misplace them. They are so tiny that I usually can’t find them if they are anywhere else except this bag (thanks Carl! Stop moving them, love you). If he’s a little bit congested I carry a saline spray with us and a mucous sucker. Glamorous, I know.
7. Snacks. I always have snacks in my bag obviously not for Arren, but this mama gets hungry on outings. I usually have almonds and two homemade protein bars with me. and a bottle of water.
8. Other stuff I have in my bag is my wallet, and pacifier spray. For when Arren decides he likes his pacifier again. I never put my phone in my bag, I prefer to have it on me. Occasionally I’ll have an extra shirt for me in my bag, but I use a large scarf as my breastfeeding cover and any slip ups can be covered with that.
What do you have in your bag?