We all experience stress in our lives from time to time, but constant stress is not healthy and stressing during pregnancy can be linked to preterm labour and a lower birth weight, I seriously read that and think “I can’t believe with statements like that, that everyone expects me to be calm”. Stress during pregnancy is just the worst, because most of the time with the insane amount of hormones swimming around your body trying to make you emotional for silly things you end up crying and feeling horrible about everything. I’m your typical type A personality and we all know that stands for typical type Anal about everything personality. I like things to get done and when it doesn’t I start wondering how people can live in such an unorganised world! but the world is unorganised and that’s one of the reasons its a wonderful adventure to be on, so here is some of my tips to just relax and de-stress yourself during pregnancy.
TIPS FOR DEALING WITH STRESS DURING PREGNANCY
- Relax: This is one I have a hard time with, there is just so much to do all the time and allowing myself some time to unwind when so much still needs to get done has been hard. Sometimes I kind of forget I’m pregnant, but pregnancy is hard on your body and its just something you have to embrace. Enjoy some me time, put your feet up and forget about everything that needs to get done. Tomorrow is another day!
- Get outside: I’ve traded in my pregnancy workout for daily walks instead. Getting outside when I can really gives me some time to clear my head. The fresh air seems to clear up any mind fogginess.
- Ask for help: Your husband/partner/friend is not a mind reader, most of the time they can’t tell we need help; especially if we keep going on like we’re completely fine. Ask your husband for a little more help around the house or anything you really need, they will understand and be happy to help. I’ve been having moments when I’m just too tired to make dinner after a long day, at first I got angry at the fact that Carl can’t make anything edible, after that I decided to teach him how to cook and the basics of cooking. It seems like a lot of work, but he seems to be enjoying it and I get to delegate and help him be able to feed himself a healthy meal when I’m not around. Every problem has a solution when you have a clear head and don’t get mad about it. Figure it out!
- Meditate: Meditation is a hard one for me, I can never get my mind silent enough to be able to just relax! Somehow, lately with construction happening in the front of us and to the side, with the loudest construction workers screaming at each other and my peak stress level jumping through the roof I managed to do my own kind of meditation. I put on some music and just have a moment on my yoga mat, doing some prenatal yoga, and a little bit of mind clearing meditation. Find your own kind of meditation, for some people its getting in the zone and cleaning their house, who knows how you can personally find your inner peace. I feel like I’m becoming a true yogi with that statement. Namaste.
- Treat yo’self: With everything revolving around your unborn child at the moment its easy to forget to take care of yourself. It can be something as simple as taking a hot bath and just relaxing or it can be buying yourself something that makes you feel beautiful while being pregnant ( sometimes that feels like a difficult task). For me it was splurging on a pair of amazing maternity pants, that actually fit properly and doesn’t have that hint of hideousness that comes with maternity clothes.
- Educate yourself: Read all the books, google, google, google, talk to friends with babies or your midwife/obgyn, just find out everything you need to know or are concerned about. At the same time, don’t get too scared about the what if’s, because the internet will always tell you something simple is a tumour, educate yourself, but take everything with a grain of salt. If you’re concerned ask your obgyn, they will most likely put your mind at ease. Now go feed your growing tumour baby. Thanks internet.
- People will give you their advice: Sometimes the biggest stress is a good meaning, slightly mean person who tells you what you’re doing is wrong, trust that what you’re doing is the best way for YOU and do it! Laugh all the silly comments off.
- Avoid trigger people or situations: if you feel overly stressed out around a certain situation, avoid it! Be a little selfish, you are growing a baby! This is the time you should easily be able to avoid something for the good of your baby and yourself.
- Talk to someone: Sometimes the best thing you can do is just talk to someone you trust about all your concerns, get it all out and let them tell you, you’re being silly.
- Eat a balanced diet: Drink plenty of water during pregnancy to lessen pregnancy symptoms, eat food that will make you feel good, instead of feel good right now.
- Trust that everything will work out the way its supposed to. Believe in Gods plan and have faith in yourself.
I hope these tips will help any soon to be mama out there be able to start relaxing and de-stressing. Go on! Go take that bath/ binge watch netflix you deserve it!