As Mother’s day approaches I feel more and more grateful for this life I have. Continue reading
I didn’t get a lot of things right in terms of what I needed for my baby. Continue reading
Friday isn’t called “fry”day for nothing and what better day to go on a little spontaneous date than Friday! When you get fries with that, you know it’s going to be a good day. Our first tiny night time date was of course with little Arren, because what kind of date would be baby free? Because right now he might be in college before we go on a one on one date, but when your baby brings all the fun and cuteness to the table how can you not want to take him everywhere.
While waiting for our fries we walked around the little pier and admired all the little lights. Arren was mesmerised by all the lights and the joys of a night time outing.
The best part of our little date was how well Arren slept that night! More dates please!
We all experience stress in our lives from time to time, but constant stress is not healthy and stressing during pregnancy can be linked to preterm labour and a lower birth weight, I seriously read that and think “I can’t believe with statements like that, that everyone expects me to be calm”. Stress during pregnancy is just the worst, because most of the time with the insane amount of hormones swimming around your body trying to make you emotional for silly things you end up crying and feeling horrible about everything. I’m your typical type A personality and we all know that stands for typical type Anal about everything personality. I like things to get done and when it doesn’t I start wondering how people can live in such an unorganised world! but the world is unorganised and that’s one of the reasons its a wonderful adventure to be on, so here is some of my tips to just relax and de-stress yourself during pregnancy.
TIPS FOR DEALING WITH STRESS DURING PREGNANCY
- Relax: This is one I have a hard time with, there is just so much to do all the time and allowing myself some time to unwind when so much still needs to get done has been hard. Sometimes I kind of forget I’m pregnant, but pregnancy is hard on your body and its just something you have to embrace. Enjoy some me time, put your feet up and forget about everything that needs to get done. Tomorrow is another day!
- Get outside: I’ve traded in my pregnancy workout for daily walks instead. Getting outside when I can really gives me some time to clear my head. The fresh air seems to clear up any mind fogginess.
- Ask for help: Your husband/partner/friend is not a mind reader, most of the time they can’t tell we need help; especially if we keep going on like we’re completely fine. Ask your husband for a little more help around the house or anything you really need, they will understand and be happy to help. I’ve been having moments when I’m just too tired to make dinner after a long day, at first I got angry at the fact that Carl can’t make anything edible, after that I decided to teach him how to cook and the basics of cooking. It seems like a lot of work, but he seems to be enjoying it and I get to delegate and help him be able to feed himself a healthy meal when I’m not around. Every problem has a solution when you have a clear head and don’t get mad about it. Figure it out!
- Meditate: Meditation is a hard one for me, I can never get my mind silent enough to be able to just relax! Somehow, lately with construction happening in the front of us and to the side, with the loudest construction workers screaming at each other and my peak stress level jumping through the roof I managed to do my own kind of meditation. I put on some music and just have a moment on my yoga mat, doing some prenatal yoga, and a little bit of mind clearing meditation. Find your own kind of meditation, for some people its getting in the zone and cleaning their house, who knows how you can personally find your inner peace. I feel like I’m becoming a true yogi with that statement. Namaste.
- Treat yo’self: With everything revolving around your unborn child at the moment its easy to forget to take care of yourself. It can be something as simple as taking a hot bath and just relaxing or it can be buying yourself something that makes you feel beautiful while being pregnant ( sometimes that feels like a difficult task). For me it was splurging on a pair of amazing maternity pants, that actually fit properly and doesn’t have that hint of hideousness that comes with maternity clothes.
- Educate yourself: Read all the books, google, google, google, talk to friends with babies or your midwife/obgyn, just find out everything you need to know or are concerned about. At the same time, don’t get too scared about the what if’s, because the internet will always tell you something simple is a tumour, educate yourself, but take everything with a grain of salt. If you’re concerned ask your obgyn, they will most likely put your mind at ease. Now go feed your growing tumour baby. Thanks internet.
- People will give you their advice: Sometimes the biggest stress is a good meaning, slightly mean person who tells you what you’re doing is wrong, trust that what you’re doing is the best way for YOU and do it! Laugh all the silly comments off.
- Avoid trigger people or situations: if you feel overly stressed out around a certain situation, avoid it! Be a little selfish, you are growing a baby! This is the time you should easily be able to avoid something for the good of your baby and yourself.
- Talk to someone: Sometimes the best thing you can do is just talk to someone you trust about all your concerns, get it all out and let them tell you, you’re being silly.
- Eat a balanced diet: Drink plenty of water during pregnancy to lessen pregnancy symptoms, eat food that will make you feel good, instead of feel good right now.
- Trust that everything will work out the way its supposed to. Believe in Gods plan and have faith in yourself.
I hope these tips will help any soon to be mama out there be able to start relaxing and de-stressing. Go on! Go take that bath/ binge watch netflix you deserve it!
^^ Early morning walks everyday with this guy. It feels like torture getting up so early to go for a walk, but this guy makes everything so much fun.
^^ Baby nursery details.
^^ During one of our walks, Carl demanded a after shave balm to ease his skin. I made this and immediately after testing it on my hands ( I always have little cuts on my hands, not very lady like) felt extremely jealous. It smells so good, and soothed my hands and just when I didn’t think it could get better, it left my hands softer than soft.
^^ Beard oil for demanding husbands.
^^ Vanilla protein shakes, enjoyed on days when the blender isn’t acting up. We should just get a new blender, but we’ve just become so good at fixing it.
^^ Rainy Saturdays with a green smoothie, fruit and raw buckwheat parfait. So amazing. I just love buckwheat so much.
^^ Another day, another walk.
^^ Walks backs home with the prettiest light.
^^ Things are getting bumpy! Its been weird seeing some peoples reaction to my pregnancy. From comments to it at supermarkets, to people just staring at my bump like they didn’t know humans came out of other humans. Its been really funny.
Hi friends! How was your weekend? did you get up to anything? We wen’t on a shopping trip to get our monthly food in hopes of avoiding our local supermarket for 2 – 3 weeks. It gets way to crazy in that area when people get paid! Instead we’ve decided to call our next two weekend, maintenance weekends. Our little home was left in a state and we haven’t really gotten down to the real down and dirty cleaning. We have to wash all the windows and mow the lawn of the most insanely overgrown garden ever!
We’ve been going for daily walks together that feels like the best therapy ever. Our morning talks are just the best, even if I hate Carl a bit every morning when he forces me to get up for walkies, like a dog, but by the end of the walk I feel so refreshed! Hope everyone’s week is lovely!
^^ The cutest almost fall I ever did see.
^^ Weekend walks, that have turned into daily walks now.
^^ I finally got some watermelon! Whoop!
^^ We decided to take the train to Simon’s Town over the weekend. Definitely the most run down train I’ve ever been on, I couldn’t even see out the window.
^^ Lovely flowers, while walking around Simon’s Town. Such a cute little town.
^^ I forgot what this place was. Might have been a coffee shop or a craft beer shop. Could be either of those.
^^ I didn’t like the look in this birds eye while I was trying to eat a carrot stick.
^^ Pathway to our local shop.
^^ Beautiful view at the train station.
^^ Getting on the train.
^^ Saw this little guy on our walk around Simon’s Town.
^^ Inside the Naval museum. I’m sure they didn’t really fight dragons, but tall tales are the most interesting!
^^ Our first fire was a beautiful success. Now If only we made smores.
Hey friends! How have you been? I’ve been trying to keep my stress levels down and relax more, and mentally preparing myself for the last couple of months before our baby arrives. We still have a lot to do and didn’t even get to painting the baby’s room yet! I’ve been feeling really swamped lately, like there is not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I need to get done! Trying to relax in our new house has also been a little difficult with all the shouting from two construction sites right next to our house, you would think the construction is loud, but no….Its the people! They’re always screaming, and whistling and just going a little bonkers, but I still love our little place!
Hopefully I get to blog more this week and get a lot done!
^^ Weekends are made for gluten free, sugar free graham crackers. These were so yum!
^^ Our neighbourhood beach was way to bright for Carl.
^^ The sand was so difficult to walk on, but so worth it.
^^ Pretty mountains and such a blue ocean. Wow.
^^ Pretty flowers on our evening walk.
^^ I love this little neighbourhood, it gives me such an old school European feel. All the kids playing on the streets, people constantly walking around and just a wonderful sense of community, and the cutest little houses you’ve ever seen.
^^ A bit of a commotion on the beach thanks to a dog running after this train trying to bite at it. I’ve never actually seen a train slow down for a dog before. The dog survived the ordeal.
^^ Pretty flowers on the beach.
^^ A pretty sky right in front of our little house.
Hey friends! How was your weekend? Did you get up to anything interesting? We had a completely overwhelming weekend filled with all the house things we are still trying to get done. I’ve painted baby A’s room, but have been confused about painting the wooden ceiling or not, I really think the roof needs to be painted white to open up and brighten up this space, but at the same time I’m wondering if the wooden ceiling will go more with the woodland theme we’ve got going on in there. So far I’m 95% in favour of painting it white. What do you think? Should I paint it?
We’ve had glorious cooler weather here, that we’ve just been loving! It would have been even better if we had our couch by now. Ordering stuff online in South Africa is such a pain, in America you’ve got drone deliveries here we have to wait an unnaturally long time for anything to arrive! We’ve also been trying to get a telephone line installed for internet, but wow its turned into the biggest deal! We apparently have to wait 5 – 21 days. What kind of timeline is that? It doesn’t even make sense to me! Oh well! Everything is a lesson, and right now I’m learning how to have patience.
Here’s to another week! I hope this one is just as great.
Its that time of the year again , the time when my instagram feed goes crazy with pumpkin spice everything! All over the internet everyone seems to be going pumpkin spice nutty, even the starbucks in South Africa is hitting up the pumpkin spice season, even if its technically spring here, but hey, I’m not complaining. Well I’m sorry to disappoint you guys, but this is not a pumpkin spice recipe! but its an even better for you treat that’s a perfect afternoon treat or an anytime treat! With a lot of good for you qualities added to the mix thanks to the powerful Rooibos tea. If you haven’t tried rooibos tea yet, you really should. This caffeine free tea is native to South Africa, but can be easily bought anywhere around the world these days.
If you are still having a hard time dealing with the no pumpkin spice flavour to this recipe, I’m really sorry, but I’m not asking you to abandon the beloved pumpkin spice, I’m asking you to add some variety and who know this might become your favourite warm drink.
I use a hand blender to get my perfectly foamy top, but if you don’t have a hand blender, throwing everything in a jar and shaking your little heart out will probably do the trick, and you will get a great workout in the process.
BENEFITS OF ROOIBOS TEA
- Improves skin: the tea is rich in alpha hydroxy acid and zinc. Both of these nutrients are great for the skin and may help alleviate several skin problems including acne, pimples, sunburns, eczema and uneven skin.
- Anti – Inflammatory: Roobios tea is rich in polyphenols including aspalathin and nothofagin, which are two polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect the body by fighting free radicals or unstable cells that attack healthy cells to stabilize themselves.
- Immune Boosting: The anti viral benefits gives your immune system a boost.
- Improves Blood Circulation; Roobios tea contains chrysoeriols, which is a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This compound aids blood circulation and has been linked to reducing cholesterol.
- Promotes Healthy Hair: Rooibos tea is rich in several important minerals required for hair growth. This includes zinc, calcium, copper and potassium. Regularly consuming rooibos tea may help increase hair growth and strengthen hair fibres, so hair grows healthy and strong.
ROOIBOS TEA LATTE – serves one
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 rooibos tea bag
- 1/2 heated non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetener to taste
Steep the rooibos tea bag in the boiling water for 2- 5 minutes. Remove the teabag.
Add the vanilla, milk and sweetener, have a little taste and adjust. Pour everything in a bowl to avoid spillage, and start using your hand blender until the desired frothiness is reached.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy with a view. (view optional, but highly recommended!
I’ve even used my salted caramel date sauce as a sweetener for an added extra special.
The west coast national park is just a quick hour and a half drive away from Cape town central and oh, so amazing. We decided to go for a weekend adventure and see what all the talk is about with the spring flowers and we were surely not disappointing. During flower season the whole park is filled with wild flowers all over, if your heaven is a flower covered paradise I bet you will think you died and went to heaven, but today’s post is not about the flowers, I wish it were, I just can’t get all those flowers out my head, but its about the amazing beaches in this park. When people say they like long walks on the beach, they must be talking about west coast national park? Walking on long stretches of deserted beaches with the gentle waves lapping at your feet will make anyone a romantic. I felt like I was in a romantic novel walking on the beach while holding Carl’s hand.
Next time I think we will definitely make a weekend trip and stay at the park, there is just so much to do and not enough hours in one day to fully experience this park, especially when you forgot to fill the car up with petrol/gas and you don’t know if you will ever make it out of the park. Don’t worry we found a gas station. I took a little piece of the park home with me thanks to the ridiculous amount of beach sand that was leftover in my shoes, once you get sand in your shoes you will never get all the traces out again. Now, I carry little pieces of the park with me every time I lace up my trainers.
^^ leave behind only footprints.
^^ Carl had a lot of things in his hands, that’s how this semi formal photo happened.
^^ How can you not be mesmerised by the ocean with a view like that.
^^ So many footprints, but we didn’t see any people.
^^ Baby’s first beach trip?
^^ even the sunlight was magical.
^^ Seagull….always such posers.
^^ Amazing Nori wrap. Cauliflower rice with kale, fresh veggies and beetroot hummus for an added bit of amazingness.
^^ We went to a strawberry farm for the biggest, cheapest strawberries of the season! The cutest little farm stall with some angry elderly people ready to elbow anyone they can out of the way.
^^ Really big strawberries.
^^ 25 weeks pregnant. Where did my ribs go?
^^ This entire farm is filled with a crazy amount of scarecrows. If a bird landed on these fields I would be shocked.
^^ Early morning hikes.
^^ So many scarecrows.
^^ Beautiful sunset over the ocean after a visit to family.
How was your weekend? We’ve been walking and hiking all around Sea point and lions head, before we leave for our new place at the end of the month! We decided to visit a cute little strawberry farm I remember visiting as a child, they seem to have gone completely bonkers with the amount of scarecrows the have up, and I hope they don’t get any bird attacks with all those guys around, but who knows, birds do what they want.
25 weeks pregnant and 2 days today. WOW! It feels like I woke up and my ribs somehow disappeared, baby has decided to move into my ribs and kick as hard as possible all the time. Baby seems to be having a lot of fun in my womb and likes throwing parties and mosh pits on the inside daily.