Its been a week since we’ve left Dublin and I can honestly tell you it still feels like a part of me is missing! Dublin stole a piece of my heart and I can’t wait to go back there some day. As we start to ease into normal life here in Cape Town, I often think about Dublin and wonder what’s it doing right at this time. Is Dublin raining on enough people, is the constant weather mood swings driving people nuts or has everyone finally seen the beauty that Dublin has to offer, so here is my list of reasons why I love Dublin.
10 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT DUBLIN
- Daffodils everywhere. I can’t get enough of all the beautiful daffodils all around Dublin. Its like a yellow field of happiness.
- Church bells ringing. Hearing church bells always ringing and some even ringing in a hymn. Its sure a lot nicer on the ears than sirens.
- Cathedrals. Stained glass, architecture, the history these cathedrals are all wonderful to explore and all of them are amazingly unique in their own special way.
- Grafton Street buskers. Grafton Street is filled with the most talented musicians you will ever come across. I mean these guys are so good, they would make every future rockstar try a little harder.
- The accent. The wonder accent of the Irish! Its like a song on the ears and the further you get out of Dublin the more and more difficult in gets to understand what people are saying.
- Polite people. Dublin is filled with the most polite people you will ever meet. People make an effort to stop for you as a pedestrian, someone is always letting you go in front of them at the grocery store, just because you don’t have as much groceries as they do and the honour code is strong in Dublin, all around you, you see people following the rules and taking pride in it.
- Scenery. The scenery all over Dublin is breathtaking and most things are just a quick train, bus or walk trip away. From amazing cliff walks to pebbly beaches.
- Most of the museums are free. Explore the national gallery and see Van Gogh, Picasso and a Monet painting, with many more gems waiting to make you feel like a pretentious art student. Or go and look at the bog bodies and the Museum of archaeology. There is so much to do, but so little time!
- Parks. There are so many different parks all over Dublin worth exploring. These parks are amazing to walk through and even better to people watch.
- Castles galore! It feels like everywhere you look in Dublin there is a castle waiting to be explored and who doesn’t love a castle?
I’m starting to feel like I’m having Dublin withdrawals!