it feels like Arren grew an exponential amount this month. Continue reading
Cloth diapering seems like such an old fashioned notion. Something that our grandmothers used to do. Big white cloths that had to be folded and pinned with a safety pin and the whole thing would be covered in diaper cover in hopes of making it look a little more attractive. These days cloth diapers have gone from being something that’s incredibly inconvenient to amazingly aesthetically pleasing. Its not just all about looks though, cloth diapers have come a long way and now is a pretty, convenient option that’s way easier on the planet, but also easier on baby’s bum.
When I first found out about Arren making a little home in my body, I knew that I wanted to cloth diaper. I wanted to have a lighter footprint on the planet and Carl loved all the money we would be saving. As my due date approached and I started thinking about how tired and love struck I was going to be in the first couple of weeks I started getting a little scared. No one wants to wash a crap load (pun intended) of laundry when you’ve got a fresh little poop monster on your hands. That’s why we also got a bunch of bio degradable disposable diapers to go along with the cloth diapers. I’m really happy that we had them on hand they were great! They fit Arren really well and we got to throw away the gross black poop stage diapers!
As soon as we started on the cloth diapers I was sad that we didn’t start sooner! First of all he looks so cute in all the different colours. He’s got a colour for every mood. We even have a cute little pink diaper that he looks so punk rock in. He seems so excited every time he sees pink! He also seems happier in his cloth diapers, he doesn’t mind peeing in his diapers, doesn’t get diaper rash in them because it never really leaves him wet and he sleeps in longer stretches at night because he’s never that wet.
CLOTH DIAPER 101 TIPS AND TRICKS
- Find a brand you like: We have two sets of diapers. The one batch we got second hand and the other is a cloth diaper brand called biddykins. The second hand brand is terrible! they fit a bit strangely and the insert doesn’t really do anything. We double up on these diapers and that took away the problem,but they still fit a bit weird. The second brand Biddykins, is just AMAZING. We just love them so much, the quality, the inserts, the cute prints and the price is just the best. Always read the reviews of a cloth diaper brand, that’s the best way to find a good brand and have an idea of what people think of them.
- Washing: I wash the diapers with all Arren’s clothes. I’ve even used a 30 minute cycle without having a stain problem. If it seems a bit discoloured I hang them up outside to get naturally bleached by the sun. It works perfectly! It also works on white clothes.
- Tea tree essential oil: I don’t think the diapers smell that bad in a diaper bin, but we throw tea tree oil in the bucket to prevent odour. This also works great for any bin.
- Make sure it fits everywhere and doesn’t have any escape holes for bodily fluids. Its easy to clip these diapers on, but taking the time to see if its tighter is for your best interest.
- The booster pad matters! Having a good booster pad makes your diaper experience that much better.
- Don’t be freaked out at the cost: Cloth diapering saves money! When you buy your first pack it doesn’t seem that way, but this is a once off cost and that once you have them you have them. If you’re planning on having more than one child you wont have to buy more for your next baby.
- Cloth diapers can become an obsession. With all the cute prints its hard to stop buying new ones. I don’t see a good reason to stop because they are just that great, so I shall continue to shop until I drop. Or until I have no house left at all, and all my furniture is just covered in cloth diapers.
I’m just loving cloth diapering, seeing a happy baby is just the best and he just looks so cute how can I deny him of those things!
^^ Flower season is here! During August and September the Western Cape is alive with the most beautiful flowers. Fields of flowers!
^^ Traffic jam! All because of this little guy, who was surprisingly fast.
^^Happy to see all the flowers.
^^ Standing in a field of wild flowers is amazing! Hence, the excited look on my face.
^^ We decided to try the shipwreck hike….We never made it to the shipwreck..It started feeling horror movie-ish when we saw 3 dead seals, 1 dead penguin and a sand castle embellished with bones….
^^ When people say they like long walks on the beach, I guess they’ve never been surrounded by so much dead. Carl still looks good on these sandy white beach.
^^ Baby skinny jeans, because if you’re not going to shove your baby into the cutest little skinny jeans ever created, what kind of parent are you? Baby skinnies from H&M.
^^ We got our first set of cloth diapers, I also realised that I might be a nightmare. My sister asked me what if I have a boy and I responded by telling her color does not define gender and my child will not grow up in a hateful environment, where inappropriate comments create a confusing environment. She stopped speaking to me after that.
^^ Walks on the beach.
Flower season has hit Cape town! This might be the most beautiful time to be in Cape town, all the wild flowers are popping out all over and we couldn’t wait to go check out the West coast nature reserve! It was the most incredible experience ever being surrounded by so many colorful flowers, walking along deserted beaches and worrying that we were going to run out of petrol/gas! We forgot to fill the car up and the reserve was way bigger than we expected. We started stocking up on baby things, like wet wipes, diaper liners, cloth diapers and all those wonderful things, we are starting to have quite a haul!
This weekend was really exhausting and I feel like I’m still recovering from it, being out till 7 o clock at night is just crazy to us now! #oldpeopleproblems How was your weekend?