One of my favorite memories I have of my childhood is my dad coming to pick me up from school, always a little frazzled and always a lot late, with this look on his face that always said, “I tried to get here as fast as possible, but two hours after school was the earliest I could get off work”, I was never really upset with him for letting me wait for him that long, because I knew we would go do the daily shopping and afterwards we would go for ice cream. Continue reading
I’ve been loving smoothies and shakes lately! Making a quick shake or smoothie is a fast way for me to get in a lot of nutrients in a short amount of time. When I need a protein filled snack, bam! Lets have a smoothie. This is my favourite smoothie EVER. Yes, it might not be a vibrant ,beautiful green or a wonderful colourful colour, but the simplicity of this boring looking smoothie is all sort of amazing on the taste buds. Filled with all the wonderful super foods you need with a whole lot of yum, this is definitely the treat with so many health benefits you need.
- Hormone Balance; Maca is believed to balance estrogen levels. Which can help with ovulation and pregnancy.
- Decreases levels of anxiety and stress.
- Helps with male fertility
- Increases endurance, energy and mood.
- Antioxidants booster; Helps in fighting disease and is great for cancer prevention.
COCONUT OIL BENEFITS
- Prevents heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Protects the liver
- Reduce inflammation and arthritis.
- Cancer prevention.
- Immune system booster.
- Prevention in heart disease.
- Supports healthy brain function.
- Helps keeps your skin young, thanks to the anti ageing benefits.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- Helps with weight loss.
FLAX SEEDS BENEFITS
- High in fibre and great for gut health.
- Keeps your hair and skin healthy.
- Helps with losing weight.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- High in antioxidants.
- Helps prevent cancer.
- Keeps your heart healthy.
- A great anti – depressant.
- Helps with treating urinary disorders.
- protects against gastrointestinal diseases.
ALMOND BANANA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 1 large, banana peeled
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 -2 cup almond milk (depends on how thick you like it, start with a cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 heaped scoop protein powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 large pitted medjool date.
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy all those delicious health benefits.
^^ Early morning walks everyday with this guy. It feels like torture getting up so early to go for a walk, but this guy makes everything so much fun.
^^ Baby nursery details.
^^ During one of our walks, Carl demanded a after shave balm to ease his skin. I made this and immediately after testing it on my hands ( I always have little cuts on my hands, not very lady like) felt extremely jealous. It smells so good, and soothed my hands and just when I didn’t think it could get better, it left my hands softer than soft.
^^ Beard oil for demanding husbands.
^^ Vanilla protein shakes, enjoyed on days when the blender isn’t acting up. We should just get a new blender, but we’ve just become so good at fixing it.
^^ Rainy Saturdays with a green smoothie, fruit and raw buckwheat parfait. So amazing. I just love buckwheat so much.
^^ Another day, another walk.
^^ Walks backs home with the prettiest light.
^^ Things are getting bumpy! Its been weird seeing some peoples reaction to my pregnancy. From comments to it at supermarkets, to people just staring at my bump like they didn’t know humans came out of other humans. Its been really funny.
Hi friends! How was your weekend? did you get up to anything? We wen’t on a shopping trip to get our monthly food in hopes of avoiding our local supermarket for 2 – 3 weeks. It gets way to crazy in that area when people get paid! Instead we’ve decided to call our next two weekend, maintenance weekends. Our little home was left in a state and we haven’t really gotten down to the real down and dirty cleaning. We have to wash all the windows and mow the lawn of the most insanely overgrown garden ever!
We’ve been going for daily walks together that feels like the best therapy ever. Our morning talks are just the best, even if I hate Carl a bit every morning when he forces me to get up for walkies, like a dog, but by the end of the walk I feel so refreshed! Hope everyone’s week is lovely!
Its that time of the year again , the time when my instagram feed goes crazy with pumpkin spice everything! All over the internet everyone seems to be going pumpkin spice nutty, even the starbucks in South Africa is hitting up the pumpkin spice season, even if its technically spring here, but hey, I’m not complaining. Well I’m sorry to disappoint you guys, but this is not a pumpkin spice recipe! but its an even better for you treat that’s a perfect afternoon treat or an anytime treat! With a lot of good for you qualities added to the mix thanks to the powerful Rooibos tea. If you haven’t tried rooibos tea yet, you really should. This caffeine free tea is native to South Africa, but can be easily bought anywhere around the world these days.
If you are still having a hard time dealing with the no pumpkin spice flavour to this recipe, I’m really sorry, but I’m not asking you to abandon the beloved pumpkin spice, I’m asking you to add some variety and who know this might become your favourite warm drink.
I use a hand blender to get my perfectly foamy top, but if you don’t have a hand blender, throwing everything in a jar and shaking your little heart out will probably do the trick, and you will get a great workout in the process.
BENEFITS OF ROOIBOS TEA
- Improves skin: the tea is rich in alpha hydroxy acid and zinc. Both of these nutrients are great for the skin and may help alleviate several skin problems including acne, pimples, sunburns, eczema and uneven skin.
- Anti – Inflammatory: Roobios tea is rich in polyphenols including aspalathin and nothofagin, which are two polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect the body by fighting free radicals or unstable cells that attack healthy cells to stabilize themselves.
- Immune Boosting: The anti viral benefits gives your immune system a boost.
- Improves Blood Circulation; Roobios tea contains chrysoeriols, which is a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This compound aids blood circulation and has been linked to reducing cholesterol.
- Promotes Healthy Hair: Rooibos tea is rich in several important minerals required for hair growth. This includes zinc, calcium, copper and potassium. Regularly consuming rooibos tea may help increase hair growth and strengthen hair fibres, so hair grows healthy and strong.
ROOIBOS TEA LATTE – serves one
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 rooibos tea bag
- 1/2 heated non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetener to taste
Steep the rooibos tea bag in the boiling water for 2- 5 minutes. Remove the teabag.
Add the vanilla, milk and sweetener, have a little taste and adjust. Pour everything in a bowl to avoid spillage, and start using your hand blender until the desired frothiness is reached.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy with a view. (view optional, but highly recommended!
I’ve even used my salted caramel date sauce as a sweetener for an added extra special.
No matter where you are on this beautiful planet right now the seasons are changing! and with the changing seasons a whole bunch of the sniffles seem to be right behind it. I pride myself on getting sick as little as possible and being able to jump back really fast when I do get sick, I like a good one day of wondering if I’m getting sick or not and waking up feeling as good as new. I also try not to take a lot of medication, not just because I’m pregnant at the moment, but in general, so when I really, really need to use medication my body will probably have some sort of freak out wondering what this foreign stuff is all about. I’ve always just tried to prevent sickness, by following a good diet (with minimum gluten), exercise, practice good hygiene and drinking immunity boosting tonics. When I feel my throat starting to hurt I make an amazingly delicious, super lickable healing paste, that takes away any throat tickles in a jiffy, but enough about the paste this blog post is about my immunity boosting tonic!
This tonic doesn’t require a juicer, but if you’re lucky enough to have a juicer, by all means use it! Filled with good for you ingredients that will give you’re body the extra fighting strength it needs to kick the sniffles right to the curb.
BENEFITS OF ORANGES
- Oranges fight against viral infections.
- Immune booster: with all that vitamin c, it gives you immune system the boost it needs.
- Fights inflammation
- Slows ageing: just an added bonus of oranges that’s got nothing to do with boosting your immunity, but everything to do with vanity!
Benefits Of Lemons
- Excellent source of Vitamin C; an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Balances the PH levels in your body.
- Flushes out toxins in your body.
- Its a great source of citric acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium.
Benefits of Carrots
- Helps boost immune system;When it comes to strengthening your immune system vitamin A plays a vital part (along with vitamin D) and carrots are filled with good old vitamin A
- Helps prevent infection.
- Cleanses the body; Vitamin A assists the body in flushing out toxins and reduces bile from forming in the liver.
Benefits of Ginger
- Anti Inflammatory – Ginger is high in gingerol, a substance that’s a powerful anti inflammatory and filled with antioxidants.
- Prevents Nausea.
- Reduces muscle pain and soreness.
- Helps fight infections.
Benefits of Turmeric
- Anti inflammatory.
- Manages Pain.
- Boost Immunity.
Now with all those benefits don’t you just want to take a sip of this tonic! I grated my carrot before hand as I don’t have a great blender at the moment, and used a little strainer over my glass to strain out the pulp and control how much pulp I wanted in my tonic. Its all up to you, like I said if you have a juicer feel free to use it you will probably have a way more juicy tonic than mine, if using a juicer I would suggest to go easier on the water.
IMMUNITY BOOSTING VITAMIN C TONIC – serves 2 small glasses or 1 and a bit bigger glasses
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 1/2 large lemon, washed well I blend it with the rind.
- 1 large carrot, washed and grated
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup of water or add a little more if using the strainer method.
Add all the ingredients to a blender a blend until smooth.
Place a strainer over your glass or a bowl and pour the liquid in. I used a spoon to push through as much of the liquid as I could. Give it a stir, add ice and enjoy. Feel free to sweeten it with honey or maple syrup if you want, I drank it just as is.