General conference weekend is the best kind of weekend. A weekend filled with good times at home with family or friends, eating good food and wondering why you don’t have play glasses for your baby, because he looks an awful lot like some of the apostles. Continue reading
A sleeping baby and a beautiful view is all you need for a romantic picnic lunch. Continue reading
Nothing says it’s party time like a picnic in Kirstenbosch gardens right? well throw in a cute little baby and you’ve got yourself a party. Continue reading
Yesterday we celebrated Carl’s 30th Birthday! As I was going through the photos of our full day of adventures yesterday, my heart just swelled to 500 times its normal size. Continue reading
Happy St Patrick’s day! I can’t believe its been a year since we were in Dublin for St Patrick’s day. Here is a flash back photo of of one of my favourite St Patrick’s day photos in Ireland. Continue reading
Carl and I have mastered the art of baby entertaining while enjoying dinner. Continue reading
Friday isn’t called “fry”day for nothing and what better day to go on a little spontaneous date than Friday! When you get fries with that, you know it’s going to be a good day. Our first tiny night time date was of course with little Arren, because what kind of date would be baby free? Because right now he might be in college before we go on a one on one date, but when your baby brings all the fun and cuteness to the table how can you not want to take him everywhere.
While waiting for our fries we walked around the little pier and admired all the little lights. Arren was mesmerised by all the lights and the joys of a night time outing.
The best part of our little date was how well Arren slept that night! More dates please!
It feels like it was just yesterday that I wrote my musings for the first month! Nothing makes you realise how fast time goes by like a baby, before having Arren a month didn’t feel like such a big deal, but now when I see all the milestones we go through on a monthly bases as humans I feel more grateful for the time I have in this earthly life.
A lot has happened this month; The best thing that happened this month is definitely the fact that Arren finally likes his dad! I think we finally wore him down with all our intense ” You will like your father” techniques! Hey, it worked! Everyday just keeps getting better with this guy!
MUSINGS OF FIRST TIME PARENTS – 2 MONTHS
- We’ve figured out how to bounce Arren to sleep in a shorter amount of time. It might look weird to people, but hey! It works! It also causes slight cramping instead of one long cramp from an hour of “normal” bouncing.
- You wont know how to stand still without your baby in public. I start bounce standing when talking to people now.
- Going out with a baby means taking everything you own ,because you don’t know if you will need it or not.
- Being late will just become the norm. Even if you get up really early, have everything ready a poopslosion can turn into an impromptu bath time.
- Making it to church at 9am is a distant memory. Things just take longer and its okay, soon we will figure out how to leave the house before 11:30.
- Arren can go from a happy smiling baby to a sad baby within a minute. Babies are bipolar.
- Everything is worth it, because of that amazing little person in your arms. The cute baby smiles, giggles and coos will make your heart melt.
- Why is there vomit on everything???
- Arren is more engaged now and loves to play.
- A more wakeful baby also means more time to figure out why he’s crying.
- Arren went to his first funeral this month and I saw first hand the comfort a baby can bring to everyone around them.
- You wont believe how many photos you take.
^^ Arren got a new hat. He looks so cute and tubby. He still hates the brightness. I need to get him some baby sunglasses.
^^ In this photo he actually looks like he likes the bassinet, but this guy…this guy hates the bassinet. He kicks the crap out of it while making a lot of displeasure sounds. I don’t know what’s wrong with the bassinet, maybe his baby friends told him horror stories.
^^ I just love these little zipper outfits. They’re just so convenient and easy to put on a cranky little baby. They were such a mission to find in Cape Town, apparently they don’t sell well. I don’t understand, they’re just the best! We even have some cute summer zipper outfits.
^^This is one of the short sleeve zipper outfits! Nothing cuter than baby shoes.
^^ Beautiful sunsets on an extremely windy day.
^^ Its a great day if you wind surf.
^^ I actually did my hair and make up, but it was so hot, windy and cold all that hard work for nothing!
Hi friends! How was your weekend? I feel like i haven’t done one of these posts in ages! Baby life has been crazy, but so much fun. We actually went out twice this weekend! Twice! Can you believe it? Both of the trips were a complete bust, Arren really, really doesn’t like any form of heat or wind! but hey, we made it out! that’s a miracle in itself!
Having little Arren Yuki in my life has truly filled my life with so much joy, but one of the biggest surprises has been what a little quiet philosopher this little guy is. I feel like I’m getting the best wisdom in the world just from being this guys mom. Every day is a learning experience with him, not only learning how to be great at eating with one hand ( eat with chopsticks! It’s easier!), but some of the most amazing thoughts about simplicity and taking it slow.
He’s become one of the best teachers I’ve ever had and I know it’s just going to get better, he’s probably going to be a tough professor when the terrible twos hit, but the best lessons come from the toughest teachers.
LESSONS LEARNED FROM MY SON
- Enjoy the little things; Going out for a simple shopping trip seems like the most extravagant thing you can possibly do and the most enjoyable experience. If you actually get to shower and get dressed you will feel like its the best day of your life.
- Patience; When you pray for patience we get challenges. Arren has taught me how to have patience and not get so easily worked up.
- A smile can make your day, your week ,your month. We sometimes forget that a smile can make someones day. Smile easily, you never know who needs one.
- To be brave; I’ve always seen myself as a complete hypochondriac, but Arren has shown me my own strength. From Pregnancy to birth. To doing everything in my power to get him away from the wildfire that had us evacuate our home and even seeing Carl chase a baboon out of our house while screaming and grunting at it.
- Endurance; When you bounce the whole day, and you feel like you can’t go on anymore somehow you find the strength and endurance to continue or deal with the aftermath.
- Finding time for romance; everything can be turned into a romantic date. Finding some time to watch netflix or having sneaky breakfasts alone while he sleeps. Always find time for affection.
- To always look at the world with wonder: Always look at the wonder of this planet like its the first time you’ve seen it and the awe of being alive. Sometimes just finding your arms is amazing just ask Arren.
- Don’t take life so seriously. Laugh easily, but also cry easily. Sometimes a beautiful nursing moment can have a surprisingly loud fart added to the mix.
- Babies are like cats: They love scratching you, making you work for their love and just seem disinterested in you a lot of the time, but them they smile at you.
I can’t believe I’ve been a mother for 6 weeks! It feels like we’ve had him with us forever and I can’t wait to see what other lessons he teaches me. What lessons have your children taught you?