We try to keep Arren’s screen time to a minimum, we tend to go play outside more and let his imagination and toys be his main source of entertainment, but is technology really that bad?
We all know that having a lot of screen time is bad for our children, but is it really that bad. I personally don’t see anything wrong with introducing our children to technology, I think the world is expanding in such a technology driven world that it’s good not to be left behind completely and sometimes a mom just needs that baby shark song to distract their insanely active toddler so she can get some cleaning done.
Instead of just looking at the negatives lets look at both and see how we feel about it after. So let’s act like we are about to date someone we are not sure about and make a pros and cons list.
- Screen time can be educational, a lot of the toddler shows out there are really educational, teaching numbers, phonics, and words, Arren even sings the little nursery rhymes from little baby bum.
- Screen time can be social, technology has made this world a smaller place, just because we are half way around the world doesn’t mean we can’t speak and see family often, my parents video call twice a week!
- Sometimes you just need a break from prying your child off of the windowsill of the second floor of your apartment, and sometimes dinner needs to get made and you can’t wonder what no good thing your toddler is up to.
- Bonding time, we have a family movie night on Sundays where we all chill and watch some family movie, it’s a fun way for all of us to just be together cuddling on the couch.
- Arren is really into otters right now, and being able to research all the otters you want at any given time is amazing.
- It’s great for travelling, it’s an easy way to distract them while on a plane, the car or a train.
- Tantrums can be more intense because they really want to watch something
- all that blue light can lead to sleeping problems, boundaries and screen time should go hand in hand.
- excessive blue light can lead to bad vision.
- obesity, not being physically active and instead watching tv.
I do think there is benefit to screen time, but I also think there is negative, the key is to find a balance that works for you, and your children, get outside when you can and stay inside when you need, it all comes down to what you think is good for your child, because in the end you shouldn’t be made feel bad about others opinions, because no matter what you do, someone, somewhere is going to disagree with you no matter what it is.