We started planning our family when the timing wasn’t right and it was the best thing we could have ever done. Today we all wait for the right time to start doing things, we plan everything so meticulously waiting for just the perfect moment, but in reality there is never a perfect moment. Continue reading
Mom guilt can happen to all of us, even a first time mother that stays at home with her little, but loud miracle.
It feels like it was just yesterday that I wrote my musings for the first month! Nothing makes you realise how fast time goes by like a baby, before having Arren a month didn’t feel like such a big deal, but now when I see all the milestones we go through on a monthly bases as humans I feel more grateful for the time I have in this earthly life.
A lot has happened this month; The best thing that happened this month is definitely the fact that Arren finally likes his dad! I think we finally wore him down with all our intense ” You will like your father” techniques! Hey, it worked! Everyday just keeps getting better with this guy!
MUSINGS OF FIRST TIME PARENTS – 2 MONTHS
- We’ve figured out how to bounce Arren to sleep in a shorter amount of time. It might look weird to people, but hey! It works! It also causes slight cramping instead of one long cramp from an hour of “normal” bouncing.
- You wont know how to stand still without your baby in public. I start bounce standing when talking to people now.
- Going out with a baby means taking everything you own ,because you don’t know if you will need it or not.
- Being late will just become the norm. Even if you get up really early, have everything ready a poopslosion can turn into an impromptu bath time.
- Making it to church at 9am is a distant memory. Things just take longer and its okay, soon we will figure out how to leave the house before 11:30.
- Arren can go from a happy smiling baby to a sad baby within a minute. Babies are bipolar.
- Everything is worth it, because of that amazing little person in your arms. The cute baby smiles, giggles and coos will make your heart melt.
- Why is there vomit on everything???
- Arren is more engaged now and loves to play.
- A more wakeful baby also means more time to figure out why he’s crying.
- Arren went to his first funeral this month and I saw first hand the comfort a baby can bring to everyone around them.
- You wont believe how many photos you take.
The first month with little Arren has been a complete whirlwind. It’s somehow been the shortest yet longest time of my life. I personally didn’t know my body could run on such little sleep and still be able to care for someone else so well, even be slightly entertaining. I mean the songs you start to sing once you have a baby will have you think maybe you should go into a music career? but we all know that’s just lack of sleep talking.
Carl and I just can’t believe how such a little person can dislike him so much. Little Arren has claimed his mommy and just shows his dislike for Carl the whole time. Arren will also not be fooled into being held by his dad when he’s wearing a mommy milk covered shirt or blanky. He’s too smart for that! We’ve decided to stockholm syndrome our son into liking Carl. Every time I nurse Arren, Carl creepily lurks and forces Arren to make eye contact with him, believe me Arren hates it! Soon this little guy will be forced to love his dad….
It doesn’t help that Carl gave Arren the biggest fright of his little life so far! By laughing! We were watching SNL and Carl laughed so hard that, little Arren went into purple screaming and wouldn’t stop for so long! I finally managed to calm him down, but we decided that Alec Baldwin is way to funny to watch around Arren.
So here are some of our musings of new parents. Please note these are honest musings, meant to be amusing. We love Arren a lot, and he made our lives better and complete, but man is it hard!
MUSINGS OF NEW PARENTS
- Do not throw away any ugly blankets or outfits that you get from colleagues, family or friends. You can use these to wipe up pee or poop or use as a changing mat cover; just because you are busy changing the diaper doesn’t mean that baby has finished peeing.
- You as a new parent know better than any parent before you. The internet is your friend.
- Everything can be made into a song.
- An exercise ball is a lifesaver for bouncing. Babies love to bounce, don’t you dare stop bouncing.
- You will get pee and poo on you. Boys are gross. I’ve turned my back for a second only to have had pee on my back and hair.
- You will talk about poo a lot. Like all the time. This is your new life.
- You wouldn’t have guessed that such a little person can go through so much laundry and that your laundry has quadrupled. Drowning in laundry everyday.
- Sometimes white noise is too white and your baby just want’s some rap music to console him.
- There will be a moment when you think you have finally gotten the hang of it and then your baby will wake up, scream in your face, like he has never seen you before, and be inconsolable.
- There will be a moment when you feel like giving up and that everything is too much and then your baby will give you a fleeting smile( around one month) and then it makes everything worth it. Your baby is a sadist.
- You will do everything possible to get that smile again. You will be silly, you will beg, you will negotiate.
- After dancing with your baby and bouncing for two hours, you think he is finally asleep, so you put him down, only for him to wake up and to start the process again.
- You will lie and tell people your baby sleeps great, not mentioning that it happens about two nights a week.
- Babies want constant entertainment, even when they aren’t able to show appreciation, they want to walked around and have everything explained to them.
- You will get to know every corner of your house.
- Your baby is now your exercise equipment, and only gets heavier with time.
- When you air dry your baby, you will probably end up getting pee or poo on you.
- The first bath time, is one of the scariest moments of your life. You have no idea what to expect.
- The first month is all about surviving, you will be sleep deprived, you will turn on each other.
- Sleep when they sleep, we haven’t, but you should.
- Colic is a real thing and sometimes it just happens, regardless of what you eat and don’t eat.
- You will google everything to find out if it is normal, and then be terrified of IDS.
- Your baby’s first outing will be nerve racking, a car trip can get your baby to sleep, but a noise in a mall can wake him up super quickly.
39 Weeks! I can’t believe I can go into labour at any time now! I have to admit knowing the baby can come so soon is hella boring! I mean the wait is just so boring, the not knowing and wondering if this braxton hicks contraction will be the start of labour! We had our midwife appointment yesterday, and everything is still all set for the home-birth. I’ve started moving all the home birth supplies into the room, where we all decided it would be best to labour in and of course have the baby in. I’ve started having all the little food items I want around for snacks for the midwife and Carl, so we wont be too frantic when its go time. I froze some fruit for myself and have coconut water ready just for me!
I’ve really started feeling insanely worried about the education system in this country, I’m not the biggest pregnant lady I’ve ever seen, but I am pregnant…The looks grown ups give you as they rubber neck to just stare at you is insane. A man actually kept telling me shame, on my pregnancy the other day, and I was just so shocked. What’s so horrible about being pregnant? why is it worth telling somebody you don’t know shame the whole time? People look at you like you’re suppose to be locked inside your home for 9 months so they don’t have to see your face. When you go for a walk all of a sudden you’re endangering your unborn child? We need to get educated on pregnancy, breastfeeding and especially home-births. I’ve actually stopped telling people I’m having a home-birth, because of the ridiculous comments I keep getting. Soon I will have my little baby in my arms and will probably deal with a million more comments from people that’s just not welcomed! Having a baby is not just physically tough, its an emotional roller coaster! and a whole lot of strange comments.
39 WEEKS PREGNANCY UPDATE
Sleep : I’m actually still sleeping pretty well. I never got one of those weird pregnancy pillow snakes? because Carl looked at it with shock and asked where is he supposed to sleep? I’ve done pretty amazingly without it and have gotten great sleep, I just prop a pillow in between my legs and I’m good to go or I use Carl as my cuddling snake pillow ( Yes, I don’t know what those pillows are called?) Lately I’ve been getting up more to use the loo, but I fall back to sleep really fast. I figured out pretty early on the key to good sleep in pregnancy is exercise and not eating anywhere close to time you want to go to sleep.
Mood: Impatient, yet peaceful. Baby can come when every baby wants to come.
Movement: This baby likes to move and cat stretch all over my belly, sometimes it feels like the baby is stretching and kicking my heart, but its all good. Carl thinks the baby and I are a comedy troop, baby does something silly and I make a comment back at the baby. My favourite one of late has been telling the baby, he/she is living in a person stop treating it like a crappy apartment!
Body: I haven’t gotten any stretch marks so I’m happy about that one. I don’t know if its a genetics thing or not, but my sister didn’t get any stretchmarks on her stomach, where she applied pregnancy creams, but she did get on her legs and thighs where she didn’t think she needed to apply. So I think religiously applying pregnancy creams and oil during pregnancy is a must!
Exercise: I’m really glad I exercised throughout this pregnancy, I feel like it kept me strong and helped me not get all the nagging pregnancy symptoms that everyone suffers from that and a good eating plan really made for a smooth pregnancy. I really enjoy the what to expect when expecting (be fit) workout routines for pregnant ladies available on youtube. I actually built muscle tone without ever feeling like I was overdoing anything, walking throughout pregnancy made me feel less stressed out and the prenatal yoga I found on youtube was just the best ever in helping me open my body up and help prevent a lot of cramping!
I hope this will be the last update and that soon I will have a cutesy little baby to post about!
^^ Picnics on the beach.
^^ I wanted to feel how cold the water was without getting wet so I just stood there until a wave lapped at my feet. I kind of look like a child from behind….My workout pants seem to be getting baggier and baggier…..bad workout pants, you should stay up.
^^ The most dramatic towel shaker ever.
^^ Shark watch flag.
^^ Found a little friend on our walk.
^^ early morning walks, making friends with fluffy weird haired cats, while I have fluffy just got up bed head hair.
^^ Invited my parents in law over for lunch and made these two desserts! A raw chocolate pie and a crushed lemon tart trifle. So good.
^^ Picnic with a view. I only ate my avocado sandwich and a couple pieces of fruit, the wind was so intense, all the food was covered in sand almost instantly.
^^ Birds being dramatic.
^^ So many of them.
^^ my parents in law got me an early birthday present, the most amazing food processor/ blender ever. In an instant I had the most amazing sunflower butter without oil. It tastes so good and is so creamy.
^^ Made little drool bibs/neckerchiefs for the baby, because all babies needs to be gangsta while drooling.
Hi friends! How was your weekend? Is everyone still recovering from Thanksgiving binge eating? Over the weekend we decided to go for a little beach picnic we were all set to take a walk down to the beach, but I was standing in the sun really early in the morning by the way, sending someone a text I realised I might not make it back in this heat. It was like standing in an oven before 8 o clock in the morning. So we decided to drive to beach, when we got to the beach, it was insanely windy! Its one of the things I hate most about Cape Town, the fact that it can be so hot and the wind can be so cold, yet harsh that you just don’t know what to do. We powered through and continued as planned with our little picnic.
On Sunday we invited Carl’s parents over for lunch and I cooked up a mini feast. I warned Carl about the risk of eating large quantities of dairy and oil when he’s been on a clean eating diet, but he didn’t believe me, I couldn’t stop laughing when he got badly effected by it and wanted to vomit, while having a headache and stomach pains. It was a lovely weekend and we finally feel kind of ready for this baby to arrive! I can’t believe how in a couple of weeks I will be holding my little baby in my arms, while asking baby A, “why did you have to abuse mommy from the inside so badly?” I hope everyone has a great Monday and an even better week.
After finding out how easy it is to make pumpkin puree (even with the long wait for all the water to drip out) I’ve been on an insane everything MUST be pumpkin flavoured kick! and with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, its the best time to be all pumpkin crazed. My dark chocolate pumpkin bread was a bust, a very delicious pudding like bust, but these baked pumpkin custards were a great success! Sometimes you have to mess up one recipe to find an even yummier other recipe.
Perfectly spiced and served in individual bowls, this dessert makes portion control so easy, but what makes it even more special is the fact that is sugar free, gluten free and vegan. Its the perfect no guilt treat to serve for any holiday celebration, but don’t just serve it for the holidays. Lets just build a pumpkin custard swimming pool and eat this dessert all the time! Yes, that seems like the only solution that will work.
This recipe popped into my mind after I made the most amazing pumpkin pie filling for my pumpkin pie bars, its just so good that I could have been content with just eating the filling and calling the crust an unnecessary luxury. Don’t get me wrong the crust is the best part of the pumpkin pie bars, but sometimes you just want a whole bowl of delicious, creamy pudding to get you through the baking process! So lets get custard making!
BAKED PUMPKIN CUSTARD – serves 4
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree or 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup – 1/2 cup honey or liquid sweetener of choice – Depends how sweet you like it.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup raisins – optional
Place everything except the raisins in your blend. Blend until combined. Taste and adjust to your preference. Fold in raisins.
Pour mixture into four ramekins.
Pour boiling water into baking pan. 1 inch of water. Place your ramekins inside the water bath.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Remove from bath.
Serve hot or cold, with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
^^ Found this really inexpensive chest of drawers for the baby’s room and gave it a little make over.
^^ I wanted more of a woodland green, but I just didn’t have enough paint stainer to get it there. Happy surprises, because I really like the way it turned out. Later on I spray painted the knobs gold. Walking around with a face mask, while pregnant felt like a ridiculous sight, but things need to get done!
^^ Nursery break! I’ve been desperately looking for a fiddle fig tree, with no luck at all. I’ll find you my beautiful planty friend!
^^ Made the best sugar free, gluten free pumpkin pie bars ever! It was like magic in my mouth, the gingery crust, made me feel like crying tears of happiness! I was floating my own boat hard while thinking I’m a recipe genius!
^^ My cute little kitchen friends.
^^ Protein shake in the baby’s room!
^^ Kind of done with the baby’s mobile, I still feel like I’m missing one little woodland friend? What do you think?
^^ The guinea fowl family on our walk again, these guys really know how to make you feel bad, when you try to pass them, and they all scatter like you’re the biggest murderer on this planet.
Hi friends! Whew! Its been a couple of days hasn’t it? I’ve just been so busy with all lives demands and trying to get everything ready for the baby! I still feel like I have so much to do and buy! I’m starting to feel just a tad overwhelmed, but I downloaded the hypnobabies app on my phone and its just the best thing to listen to!
I feel like this week has been a whirlwind for the entire world……I try to keep my blog neutral and easy, but what is going on with the world? I’m still in so much shock about the US elections and the effect this will have on all the other countries and I just can’t believe people chose fear again so soon after brexit. In the beginning of the year I couldn’t wait to see what humans were going to do next and now, I’m like how is such a racist, sexist, completely insane man, going to be president? but who knows maybe this will be the time were people stand together and realise fear is not the answer, we should live with kindness and treat people kindly. Okay! Rant over! I felt like I needed to say something about all the craziness right now! Things will get better, the earth is too beautiful to not care!