In the good old days we could go hiking without a care in the world, we could go to a restaurant without having this deer in the headlights look in our eyes and we could go for a normal walk without having to worry about the sun. Continue reading
On the weekend we decided to go visit the penguins at boulders beach. These little penguins just seem so strange on the beach, they should be in snow frolicking around, not rolling around on the beach like a swim suit model. Continue reading
As Mother’s day approaches I feel more and more grateful for this life I have. Continue reading
Moving with a baby is no joke guys! Continue reading
This Easter 2017 was a great reminder how things sometimes don’t work out as planned and to take things as they come. Continue reading
Happy St Patrick’s day! I can’t believe its been a year since we were in Dublin for St Patrick’s day. Here is a flash back photo of of one of my favourite St Patrick’s day photos in Ireland. Continue reading
Friday isn’t called “fry”day for nothing and what better day to go on a little spontaneous date than Friday! When you get fries with that, you know it’s going to be a good day. Our first tiny night time date was of course with little Arren, because what kind of date would be baby free? Because right now he might be in college before we go on a one on one date, but when your baby brings all the fun and cuteness to the table how can you not want to take him everywhere.
While waiting for our fries we walked around the little pier and admired all the little lights. Arren was mesmerised by all the lights and the joys of a night time outing.
The best part of our little date was how well Arren slept that night! More dates please!
Another month has just flown by and all of a sudden Arren doesn’t even seem like a baby anymore! He’s grown so much and is getting spunkier each day. I just can’t believe how much I love this little weirdo. He’s been having longer periods of wakefulness, he really uses this time well, trying to be the cutest baby he can possibly be.
We’ve been trying to take him out more, but boy, we still look like deer in the headlights. We usually have a whole lot of things in our hands that we don’t end up using, but hey we are slowly getting into a rhythm as a family of three.
This guy is such a tall baby, he doesn’t even seem like a baby anymore he’s so tall! He’s growing rapidly and I just keep wondering where did my tiny little baby go?! I’m breastfeeding Arren Yuki exclusively and things are going great. This guy has been a natural from the beginning he’s had a great latch and with help from my midwife, we mastered breastfeeding from the beginning. I’ve found out Arren is allergic to gluten, so I’ve taken gluten out my diet now. I didn’t have that much gluten before, but I did have a piece of toast here and there, and almost everything seems to have surprise gluten in it.
I’m really happy that I kept exercising and eating healthy during pregnancy, its played such an important role in my postpartum recovery. I’m still trying to get moving and actually do stuff, but most of the time Arren doesn’t want anything to do with that nonsense, he just wants to be held and cuddled. He doesn’t even like being used as my exercise equipment! I still use him as a weight, when he’s not looking; shhhhh, don’t tell him. I’ve started sneaking downstairs in the morning to do a quick workout. I’m loving the tone it up workout series. It’s such a great start to my morning and gets me pumped to carry around a growing baby the whole day!
ARREN’S 2 MONTH UPDATE
- This little guy is all smiles and giggles lately. It’s been really fun trying to get him to giggle. He really brings out my silly side.
- Hes kicking away a storm. When he gets excited he starts kicking vigorously. It’s the funniest thing ever, it looks like he’s trying to run away.
- He loves being carried looking over the shoulder, he holds my arm so nicely while he looks at the world in awe. He uses his other hand to steer me by my hair like I’m a horse.
- He’s been really liking the baby in the mirror lately, he hated the baby in the mirror before and would scream at himself. I think he saw the other baby as competition.
- All the cooing! He coos all the time and one of his coos sounds exactly like Hello! It’s just the most amazing thing. We’ve decided he should start a baby band called The Coos with his baby friends.
- Everything goes into his mouth. He’s started putting everything he can pick up into his mouth. We got him this cute little crinkling lion and the first thing he did with it was give him a little taste. We’ve also fooled him into taking his pacifier like that. If he puts it into his mouth by himself he doesn’t hate it that much.
- The witching hour here is more like the witching hours! between 5 – 7 this guy just seems to reach his limit of being overstimulated, grumpy and sleepy or maybe he’s just sick of seeing my face and looks forward to seeing his dad. Either way, it’s hard!
- He’s starting to sleep better at night, he doesn’t need to feed as much as he used to. This guy sure knows the difference between night and day. He gets grumpy if we don’t start winding down and take him upstairs to the room for his bedtime routine. It’s like he’s got a little watch on him.
- He smiles at everyone. I feel like we have to work so hard for a smile and then wham! A new person just looks at him and a smile happens. It’s really unfair!
This guy is such a little joy to be around! Watching him grow is just amazing.
I’ve been spreading myself really thin lately, due to my own stubbornness and the fact that most of the food here contains msg. Why? I don’t know. Even the simplest of food contains msg or you just can’t find it here, not the msg, just some food, like a really nice sunflower butter or apple butter. Occasionally I would love a little bit of convenience just to make things a bit easier even amazon is against me and refuse to ship some of their items here. Why amazon? Why? I love you and want to buy everything from you, why do you play me like this?
Sometimes life throws you curve balls and makes you zen it out in the kitchen, while creating a whole bunch of yummies!
It all starts with the most amazing sourdough rye bread I make for Carl’s work week, this bread is just the best and the more the sourdough starter ages the better it gets. After that I make gluten free protein brownies that’s sugar free and just amazing, sunflower butter, occasionally peanut butter, popcorn trail mix and of course my favourite snack during the week these amazing no bake chocolate balls.
These balls are my favourite little snack, its the fastest thing to grab while taking care of Arren. They taste like a decadent chocolate cookie,but way healthier and you don’t even have to switch on your oven! They’re nut free and made with simple ingredients, well I guess simple for me. I have all these ingredients on hand all the time. You can make these gluten free, by using gluten free oats.
Now, prepare your mouth for the best treat ever.
NO BAKE CHOCOLATE BALLS – 27 Balls
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 – 5 tbsp cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder ( I usually add protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water – optional
Add the oats to the food processor and ground until course. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until a firm ball forms. If its having trouble blending add a tbsp water.
When done start forming balls. I come out with 27 balls, but I start of small and end up getting bored and have bigger ones at the end. Refrigerate.
Sit back and enjoy these little treats.
I’ve been loving smoothies lately. I make a large batch in the morning, and keep them on hand for those times Arren just refuse to be put down, which happen quite often. Arren just loves his mommy’s bony arms. During those times its extremely difficult to even try to make something to eat, and I’m still learning how to eat with one hand while holding a growing baby with a floppy head with the other, its not as easy as you would think!
Smoothies have become my go to meal replacement, I keep telling myself that it wont be like this for long and soon he wont need me as much anymore so right now I’m taking the cuddles when I can get them and just really enjoying this time. These smoothies really give me that extra boost to be the best mother to him I can possibly be.
This is my go to smoothie recipe, the sweetness of the nectarines and the tangy-ness of the lemons make this a sweet and sour treat that I just can’t get enough of. Filled with all that good for you ingredients that keep me going while breastfeeding, and squat bouncing with a baby. The best workout I’ve ever had has been having a baby. I’ve really started getting creative with my bounces, Arren really enjoys all the strange bounces. What can I say I apparently make them weird, but I make a damn delicious smoothie too!
NECTARINE GREEN SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 2 soft nectarines, washed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 a small cucumber, washed and chopped
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1-2 lemons, juiced. Depends how lemony you like it.
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1- 2 cup kale
- 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups water
- sweetener to taste
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve! Easy as that.