The countdown has begun! In less than a month Arren will be a year old. Oh, how the time has flown. Continue reading
As Mother’s day approaches I feel more and more grateful for this life I have. Continue reading
It feels like a million years ago since the first trimester, but boy, do I remember it. The irrational anger and emotion, feeling like I’m going totally insane, falling asleep in a yoga position ( Yes, it happened and it was surprisingly comfortable), the total exhaustion, the need to wear comfy clothes and the totally ridiculous nausea just to tie it all together in the perfect little package of ” making a baby is HARD”. I’m here to tell you it does get easier and that soon you will feel like your old self again ( Hello, Second trimester).
I managed to make all the symptoms of the dreaded first trimester as easy as possible by making little changes that made all the difference, and I don’t think its fair to keep it all to myself. So here is my top ten tips for surviving the first trimester, or making it a little easier.
SURVIVING THE FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY
- Coconut water: Staying hydrated is really important during pregnancy and coconut water seemed to just make me feel so much better. Loaded with potassium and electrolytes it even gave me the tiny energy boost I needed and it just tasted so much better than actual water to me.
- Rest: When you have time just take naps, even if its a quick car nap during your lunch time. You’re growing a human its hard work don’t feel bad, you will regret not taking those naps when the insomnia kicks in later in your pregnancy.
- Eat often: Yes, it seems like the worst idea ever, but every time I got hit with nausea it could have been prevented with just eating something. I realised just because I don’t feel hungry doesn’t mean I’m not hungry. Eating small meals made the nausea bearable and made me feel human. Find the meals that don’t repulse you and nibble on that. I made a whole meal, only to throw the entire thing away, because I couldn’t stand the look and smell of it. Give yourself a break and eat what you can.
- Healthy treats: Try not to go overboard with your cravings, its probably the things that are making you feel sick. Find healthy sugar free recipes and make yourself a treat that’s actually good for you, but if you’re really craving something and you cave, don’t beat yourself up!
- Ginger: Ginger is a lifesaver during the first trimester, it helps with nausea and can be taken in so many different forms. Throw fresh ginger in your smoothie, make ginger tea, drink ginger ale or just have a ginger candy. The possibilities are endless.
- Exercise: The last thing you want to do is exercise, I know, but exercise really helps fight fatigue and the good old first trimester blues. Get active! Go for a quick walk around the block or go for a hike, but if you really can’t even think about exercising, just remember that’s what the second trimester is for.
- Prenatal Vitamins: when you’re feeling so blah and all you’ve eaten the whole day is crackers, having taken your prenatal vitamins makes everything better during the first trimester, it gives baby all he or she needs and gives you ease of mind. Find a prenatal vitamin that works for you.
- Protein: Getting enough protein in pregnancy is very important and when you’re not feeling your best it can be really hard. Drinking my protein shake will give you that boost you need, and because its a thinner shake you don’t have to worry about the consistency making you gag. If you can’t drink a shake dip your crackers in peanut butter or have a handful of nuts during the day.
- Snacks: Keep snacks with you at all time! Even when you don’t think you will be out for that long, having something to snack on really helps prevent nausea.
- Just go with: This is an exciting new phase of your life if its your first baby or your fifth it doesn’t matter every pregnancy is different so find out what works for you, keep your stress levels down and just go with it!
I hope these tips and tricks can give you the little boost you need!
We’ve been keeping a big secret! Can you guess what it is? 22 December we’re making our little family a little bigger. We’re expecting a baby! Keeping the baby secret so long has been pure bliss for us we really wanted to keep such a joyous moment happy and decided not to tell family until we had our 20 week scan to make sure everything was good with the baby. We’ve had all our happy moments ruined so far, so it was nice having the time to enjoy the happiness together without being lectured at 29.
We are over the moon excited! We’ve decided not to find out the baby’s gender in hopes of having everything be a little more gender neutral and its just fun having a little surprise to look forward too. We’ve been collecting little baby clothes, and I have to tell you guys, I don’t think its that small? I keep looking at the newborn clothes and thinking how is that suppose to come out of me! It just doesn’t seem right. We have a name picked out for a boy and girl, so we are ready to go go go!
Surprisingly the blanket in the photo is for a girl, its suppose to match the northern lights, can you see it? I still have to make a blanket for a boy, but I’ve just been so busy I haven’t had time to go get wool and get crocheting ! I’m really excited for baby A’s arrival in the world and this little blessing to fill our hearts with even more joy and love. I can’t wait to meet you in December little one! From the ultrasound we could see this baby is going to be a little busy body and I can’t wait to be able to hold this little wiggler! We love you dearly already.
^^ Lookouts at Cape point.
^^ nature all over the place.
^^ Magical ocean.
^^ Big tree.
^^ Found these little wooden guys all over a hike. I think its a fire prevention sign? You know what would work better? A real one.
^^ Proteas everywhere we go.
^^ Placing a rock on top of this little tower.
Happy Monday everybody! How was your weekend? Mine was good. We’re busy, busy,busy. Trying to figure out our future, and what we can do now to improve things. Life is a whirlwind over here and we are just hoping to make it out in one piece! We had a fun weekend filled with a visit to Cape point, hiking and Asian grocery store visits. Here is to another week!
^^ Hiking around silvermine.
^^ Everyone is wearing blanket scarves and big jackets and we’re just like whaaaaa? Its boiling hot here.
^^ Puppets at Kirstenbosch Craft market. I want them all.
^^ Hiking or casually walking around. Same thing really.
^^ In a place where every house has a large fence, barbed wire or electric wires, this house decided trees would be a better option. I love it.
^^ Nature making a break for it.
How was your weekend? we decided to go to silvermine for a casual hike around on Saturday. As casual as walking in the blistering sun without any shade for hours can be. We took some crackers and had ourselves an impromptu picnic on some strange rock formations, my bum is still traumatized from sitting on the rock seats! We also decided to go check out Kirstenbosch craft market and secured ourselves a copy of the hobbit, to complete our collection! I can’t believe the weekend flew by like this, next time I will demand it to stay longer.
Oh! I can definitely not forget that I had my first long drop experience and I can honestly say its just the worst! The smell was horrible and I could see piles of poop while trying to pee. It was an experience, that I hope I wont have to ever repeat.