It feels like a million years ago since the first trimester, but boy, do I remember it. The irrational anger and emotion, feeling like I’m going totally insane, falling asleep in a yoga position ( Yes, it happened and it was surprisingly comfortable), the total exhaustion, the need to wear comfy clothes and the totally ridiculous nausea just to tie it all together in the perfect little package of ” making a baby is HARD”. I’m here to tell you it does get easier and that soon you will feel like your old self again ( Hello, Second trimester).
I managed to make all the symptoms of the dreaded first trimester as easy as possible by making little changes that made all the difference, and I don’t think its fair to keep it all to myself. So here is my top ten tips for surviving the first trimester, or making it a little easier.
SURVIVING THE FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY
- Coconut water: Staying hydrated is really important during pregnancy and coconut water seemed to just make me feel so much better. Loaded with potassium and electrolytes it even gave me the tiny energy boost I needed and it just tasted so much better than actual water to me.
- Rest: When you have time just take naps, even if its a quick car nap during your lunch time. You’re growing a human its hard work don’t feel bad, you will regret not taking those naps when the insomnia kicks in later in your pregnancy.
- Eat often: Yes, it seems like the worst idea ever, but every time I got hit with nausea it could have been prevented with just eating something. I realised just because I don’t feel hungry doesn’t mean I’m not hungry. Eating small meals made the nausea bearable and made me feel human. Find the meals that don’t repulse you and nibble on that. I made a whole meal, only to throw the entire thing away, because I couldn’t stand the look and smell of it. Give yourself a break and eat what you can.
- Healthy treats: Try not to go overboard with your cravings, its probably the things that are making you feel sick. Find healthy sugar free recipes and make yourself a treat that’s actually good for you, but if you’re really craving something and you cave, don’t beat yourself up!
- Ginger: Ginger is a lifesaver during the first trimester, it helps with nausea and can be taken in so many different forms. Throw fresh ginger in your smoothie, make ginger tea, drink ginger ale or just have a ginger candy. The possibilities are endless.
- Exercise: The last thing you want to do is exercise, I know, but exercise really helps fight fatigue and the good old first trimester blues. Get active! Go for a quick walk around the block or go for a hike, but if you really can’t even think about exercising, just remember that’s what the second trimester is for.
- Prenatal Vitamins: when you’re feeling so blah and all you’ve eaten the whole day is crackers, having taken your prenatal vitamins makes everything better during the first trimester, it gives baby all he or she needs and gives you ease of mind. Find a prenatal vitamin that works for you.
- Protein: Getting enough protein in pregnancy is very important and when you’re not feeling your best it can be really hard. Drinking my protein shake will give you that boost you need, and because its a thinner shake you don’t have to worry about the consistency making you gag. If you can’t drink a shake dip your crackers in peanut butter or have a handful of nuts during the day.
- Snacks: Keep snacks with you at all time! Even when you don’t think you will be out for that long, having something to snack on really helps prevent nausea.
- Just go with: This is an exciting new phase of your life if its your first baby or your fifth it doesn’t matter every pregnancy is different so find out what works for you, keep your stress levels down and just go with it!
I hope these tips and tricks can give you the little boost you need!