I know the last thing anyone wants to think about during the colder months is eating healthy, but when you don’t get sick during all the fun festivities rapidly approaching, you will thank your lucky stars you did.
Ah, spirulina the green- blue algae of the moment, boy does that sound disgusting and to be complete honest don’t stick your finger in the powder just to try it out….Its really bitter, but with all the health benefits this powder packs you will be chugging down this smoothie at the end of this. Add some lemon with the peel for an extra dose of all those glorious nutrients and you have the smoothie of your dreams. Soon you will be writing long love letters to it and serenading it in the kitchen.
SPIRULINA HEALTH BENEFITS
- Helps with muscle strength and endurance.
- Helps boost Immune function.
- Reduces allergic reactions.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Helps fight certain cancers.
- Its a powerful antioxidant and is a great anti-inflammatory.
- Its extremely high in nutrients. (Protein, Vitamin B1, vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, copper, Iron, potassium, magnesium and manganese.)
- Protects the liver.
- May also help fight infections and antibiotics relates illnesses.
LEMON PEEL BENEFITS
- High in nutrients 5 – 10 times more vitamins than the juice. (potassium, calcium, magnesium, folate, vitamin c and carotene.)
- Reduce oxidative stress.
- Helps fight cancer.
- Helps with the absorption of nutrients.
- Clears sinuses.
- Helps with nausea.
- Helps reduce flatulence and the bloat.
- Helps ease tummy cramps
- Helps congestion.
- Helps absorb nutrients.
- Eases arthritis symptoms.
- Reduces risks of certain cancers.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Boost eye health.
- Promotes weight loss.
- High in iron.
- Filled with antioxidants that can help fight cancers.
- Great anti-inflammatory food.
- Helps with cardiovascular support.
- Great for eyes, skin and teeth.
- High in calcium.
- Detox food.
SPIRULINA PROTEIN SMOOTHIES – serves 2
- 1/2 banana, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 a lemon with rind washed
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled with spoon
- 1 cup kale, chopped and washed
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 heaped spoon protein powder of choice
- 1 cup water or coconut water
- liquid sweetener to taste.
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour in a glass and soak up those nutrients.
If you don’t feel like a smoothie why not sneak a little spirulina into date balls. Yum!