Its that time of the year again , the time when my instagram feed goes crazy with pumpkin spice everything! All over the internet everyone seems to be going pumpkin spice nutty, even the starbucks in South Africa is hitting up the pumpkin spice season, even if its technically spring here, but hey, I’m not complaining. Well I’m sorry to disappoint you guys, but this is not a pumpkin spice recipe! but its an even better for you treat that’s a perfect afternoon treat or an anytime treat! With a lot of good for you qualities added to the mix thanks to the powerful Rooibos tea. If you haven’t tried rooibos tea yet, you really should. This caffeine free tea is native to South Africa, but can be easily bought anywhere around the world these days.
If you are still having a hard time dealing with the no pumpkin spice flavour to this recipe, I’m really sorry, but I’m not asking you to abandon the beloved pumpkin spice, I’m asking you to add some variety and who know this might become your favourite warm drink.
I use a hand blender to get my perfectly foamy top, but if you don’t have a hand blender, throwing everything in a jar and shaking your little heart out will probably do the trick, and you will get a great workout in the process.
BENEFITS OF ROOIBOS TEA
- Improves skin: the tea is rich in alpha hydroxy acid and zinc. Both of these nutrients are great for the skin and may help alleviate several skin problems including acne, pimples, sunburns, eczema and uneven skin.
- Anti – Inflammatory: Roobios tea is rich in polyphenols including aspalathin and nothofagin, which are two polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help protect the body by fighting free radicals or unstable cells that attack healthy cells to stabilize themselves.
- Immune Boosting: The anti viral benefits gives your immune system a boost.
- Improves Blood Circulation; Roobios tea contains chrysoeriols, which is a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This compound aids blood circulation and has been linked to reducing cholesterol.
- Promotes Healthy Hair: Rooibos tea is rich in several important minerals required for hair growth. This includes zinc, calcium, copper and potassium. Regularly consuming rooibos tea may help increase hair growth and strengthen hair fibres, so hair grows healthy and strong.
ROOIBOS TEA LATTE – serves one
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 rooibos tea bag
- 1/2 heated non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sweetener to taste
Steep the rooibos tea bag in the boiling water for 2- 5 minutes. Remove the teabag.
Add the vanilla, milk and sweetener, have a little taste and adjust. Pour everything in a bowl to avoid spillage, and start using your hand blender until the desired frothiness is reached.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy with a view. (view optional, but highly recommended!
I’ve even used my salted caramel date sauce as a sweetener for an added extra special.