No matter where you are on this beautiful planet right now the seasons are changing! and with the changing seasons a whole bunch of the sniffles seem to be right behind it. I pride myself on getting sick as little as possible and being able to jump back really fast when I do get sick, I like a good one day of wondering if I’m getting sick or not and waking up feeling as good as new. I also try not to take a lot of medication, not just because I’m pregnant at the moment, but in general, so when I really, really need to use medication my body will probably have some sort of freak out wondering what this foreign stuff is all about. I’ve always just tried to prevent sickness, by following a good diet (with minimum gluten), exercise, practice good hygiene and drinking immunity boosting tonics. When I feel my throat starting to hurt I make an amazingly delicious, super lickable healing paste, that takes away any throat tickles in a jiffy, but enough about the paste this blog post is about my immunity boosting tonic!
This tonic doesn’t require a juicer, but if you’re lucky enough to have a juicer, by all means use it! Filled with good for you ingredients that will give you’re body the extra fighting strength it needs to kick the sniffles right to the curb.
BENEFITS OF ORANGES
- Oranges fight against viral infections.
- Immune booster: with all that vitamin c, it gives you immune system the boost it needs.
- Fights inflammation
- Slows ageing: just an added bonus of oranges that’s got nothing to do with boosting your immunity, but everything to do with vanity!
Benefits Of Lemons
- Excellent source of Vitamin C; an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Balances the PH levels in your body.
- Flushes out toxins in your body.
- Its a great source of citric acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium.
Benefits of Carrots
- Helps boost immune system;When it comes to strengthening your immune system vitamin A plays a vital part (along with vitamin D) and carrots are filled with good old vitamin A
- Helps prevent infection.
- Cleanses the body; Vitamin A assists the body in flushing out toxins and reduces bile from forming in the liver.
Benefits of Ginger
- Anti Inflammatory – Ginger is high in gingerol, a substance that’s a powerful anti inflammatory and filled with antioxidants.
- Prevents Nausea.
- Reduces muscle pain and soreness.
- Helps fight infections.
Benefits of Turmeric
- Anti inflammatory.
- Manages Pain.
- Boost Immunity.
Now with all those benefits don’t you just want to take a sip of this tonic! I grated my carrot before hand as I don’t have a great blender at the moment, and used a little strainer over my glass to strain out the pulp and control how much pulp I wanted in my tonic. Its all up to you, like I said if you have a juicer feel free to use it you will probably have a way more juicy tonic than mine, if using a juicer I would suggest to go easier on the water.
IMMUNITY BOOSTING VITAMIN C TONIC – serves 2 small glasses or 1 and a bit bigger glasses
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 1/2 large lemon, washed well I blend it with the rind.
- 1 large carrot, washed and grated
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup of water or add a little more if using the strainer method.
Add all the ingredients to a blender a blend until smooth.
Place a strainer over your glass or a bowl and pour the liquid in. I used a spoon to push through as much of the liquid as I could. Give it a stir, add ice and enjoy. Feel free to sweeten it with honey or maple syrup if you want, I drank it just as is.