During my long wait, waiting for baby to arrive I was trying to stay sane by creating recipes for postpartum. I wanted to create healthy easy to grab recipes that would nourish me and help heal me from the inside out. I was thinking about anti inflammatory spices and ingredients that could be made into a delicious easy breakfast. Breakfast was the one food item I was slacking on when I was making my food stock pile and showing Carl how to cook. For some reason he’s just terrible at making breakfast, especially oats?! When you have to ask someone if they’ve ever eaten before, because you just can’t believe the weird taste they’ve created you know you’ve got to come up with a breakfast alternative fast.
What’s a quicker breakfast than granola? Maybe a frozen waffle! but that was a slippery slope into unhealthy eating that I’m just not willing to take, especially during these crucial healing times!
This healthy golden milk granola is a great anti inflammatory breakfast or just a quick grab and go snack. Its a fast way to get all the benefits of warm golden milk. This traditional Ayurveda beverage harnesses some of the most potent healing spices, while giving you an immunity boost.
- Helps with pain management. After delivering your baby, you will be surprised of all the muscles you worked during labour.
- Helps manage depression. When all those hormones come flooding out of your body, most of us gets hit with a couple of baby blues.
- Anti inflammatory.
- Helps fight against cancer
- Helps with digestive complaints.
- Helps with nausea and indigestion.
- Helps with digestion
- Boost your immune system.
- Helps fight bacterial and fungal infections.
- Helps relieve pain.
- High source of antioxidants.
- fights inflammation in the body.
- Protects your heart health.
- Fights diabetes
- Fights against infections and viruses.
FENNEL SEED BENEFITS
- Increases breast milk production.
- Helps aid digestion.
- Relieves water retention.
- Relieves menstrual problems
- Protects against cancer.
Pair all those benefits with oats and you’ve got yourself a great anti inflammatory, lactation aiding, really yummy, super breakfast.
GOLDEN MILK GRANOLA – serves 12
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, seeds, salt and spices.
Stir to blend
Pour in the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well to get the oats covered well.
Spread the granola out on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until golden. Stir halfway through. I lower the heat a bit when I place the granola in the oven. I’ve had a lot of burning granola issues. Remember to keep checking on the granola so it doesn’t burn. When you take it out it wont be as crisp as you would want it, but it will crisp up as it cools.
Allow to completely cool. Stir in raisins and place in an airtight container.