Yes, that is a very bold title, but I stand with it. This is the best berry smoothie you will ever have. Continue reading
One of the things that made me fall in love with Carl was our shared love for mint chip. When we were dating we shared a lot of minty things and a whole lot of minty kisses Continue reading
I’m a big lover of sweet things, I never use to be, I was a big fan of everything savory, I wouldn’t even glance at a dessert menu when I went out. I could do without anything sweet, but for the past year all I’ve wanted is sweet things! Instead of falling completely off the deep end and just going on a sugar binge, I’ve been coming up with healthy alternatives for this ridiculous sweet tooth. Continue reading
I’ve been loving smoothies lately. I make a large batch in the morning, and keep them on hand for those times Arren just refuse to be put down, which happen quite often. Arren just loves his mommy’s bony arms. During those times its extremely difficult to even try to make something to eat, and I’m still learning how to eat with one hand while holding a growing baby with a floppy head with the other, its not as easy as you would think!
Smoothies have become my go to meal replacement, I keep telling myself that it wont be like this for long and soon he wont need me as much anymore so right now I’m taking the cuddles when I can get them and just really enjoying this time. These smoothies really give me that extra boost to be the best mother to him I can possibly be.
This is my go to smoothie recipe, the sweetness of the nectarines and the tangy-ness of the lemons make this a sweet and sour treat that I just can’t get enough of. Filled with all that good for you ingredients that keep me going while breastfeeding, and squat bouncing with a baby. The best workout I’ve ever had has been having a baby. I’ve really started getting creative with my bounces, Arren really enjoys all the strange bounces. What can I say I apparently make them weird, but I make a damn delicious smoothie too!
NECTARINE GREEN SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 2 soft nectarines, washed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 a small cucumber, washed and chopped
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1-2 lemons, juiced. Depends how lemony you like it.
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1- 2 cup kale
- 1 1/2 cups – 2 cups water
- sweetener to taste
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve! Easy as that.
Yes, I’m still pregnant and after a very positive midwife appointment I’m feeling really good again. Baby is in a good position, I’m healthy, baby is not too big and the midwife and I both decided that baby should come when the baby is done developing and is ready to face the big scary world. While I wait I’m just going to get enough sleep, meditate and go for walks until baby is ready to meet us.
I feel healthier than ever during this pregnancy, I’ve really been making a conscious effort to eat healthy, avoid anything that doesn’t make me feel like the glowing pregnant woman I deserve to be and just give my baby the best food I can possibly give him/her. I’ve mostly just been craving sweet delicious things this pregnancy, which has been strange for me, because I’m more of a savoury kind of gal, but I felt like a fruit junky and have had weird cravings for donuts and cake. You don’t know how strong you are until you prove to yourself that you WONT touch that cake. To keep my sugar cravings in control, I came up with the most delicious medjool date chocolate shake, filled with good for you ingredients, protein and all those yummy dates that’s suppose to help shorten your labour, whats not to love and I mean it just tastes so good. Way better than the best chocolate shake I’ve ever had and that’s saying something, because this is the best chocolate shake I’ve ever had.
WHY EAT DATES DURING PREGNANCY
The number one reason should be that its really delicious! filled with nutrients, fibre (what every pregnant woman needs more of), a great source of potassium , iron, anti oxidants and helps regulate blood pressure. It will also give you that energy boost you so desperately crave during pregnancy, but even with all those amazing benefits the best thing about dates for a pregnant lady is.
It will help shorten labour. Yes, you read that right! Women who ate 6 dates a day during their ninth month of pregnancy had good progression during labour. They were also more dilated on arrival to hospital and laboured for 7 hours or less. Dates have a compound in them that mimics the hormone oxytocin which causes contractions.
Hopefully all my religious date eating pays of during labour.
CHOCOLATE PREGNANCY SHAKE – serves 2
- 4-6 medjool dates pitted
- 2 large frozen banana, peeled and chopped before freezing.
- 1 and 1/2 cups non dairy milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaped tbsp protein powder
- 2 -4 tbsp cocoa powder ( depends how chocolately you like it)
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds – optional
Place everything in your blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into glasses and enjoy.
I’ve been loving smoothies and shakes lately! Making a quick shake or smoothie is a fast way for me to get in a lot of nutrients in a short amount of time. When I need a protein filled snack, bam! Lets have a smoothie. This is my favourite smoothie EVER. Yes, it might not be a vibrant ,beautiful green or a wonderful colourful colour, but the simplicity of this boring looking smoothie is all sort of amazing on the taste buds. Filled with all the wonderful super foods you need with a whole lot of yum, this is definitely the treat with so many health benefits you need.
- Hormone Balance; Maca is believed to balance estrogen levels. Which can help with ovulation and pregnancy.
- Decreases levels of anxiety and stress.
- Helps with male fertility
- Increases endurance, energy and mood.
- Antioxidants booster; Helps in fighting disease and is great for cancer prevention.
COCONUT OIL BENEFITS
- Prevents heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Protects the liver
- Reduce inflammation and arthritis.
- Cancer prevention.
- Immune system booster.
- Prevention in heart disease.
- Supports healthy brain function.
- Helps keeps your skin young, thanks to the anti ageing benefits.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- Helps with weight loss.
FLAX SEEDS BENEFITS
- High in fibre and great for gut health.
- Keeps your hair and skin healthy.
- Helps with losing weight.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- High in antioxidants.
- Helps prevent cancer.
- Keeps your heart healthy.
- A great anti – depressant.
- Helps with treating urinary disorders.
- protects against gastrointestinal diseases.
ALMOND BANANA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 1 large, banana peeled
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 -2 cup almond milk (depends on how thick you like it, start with a cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 heaped scoop protein powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 large pitted medjool date.
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy all those delicious health benefits.
No matter where you are on this beautiful planet right now the seasons are changing! and with the changing seasons a whole bunch of the sniffles seem to be right behind it. I pride myself on getting sick as little as possible and being able to jump back really fast when I do get sick, I like a good one day of wondering if I’m getting sick or not and waking up feeling as good as new. I also try not to take a lot of medication, not just because I’m pregnant at the moment, but in general, so when I really, really need to use medication my body will probably have some sort of freak out wondering what this foreign stuff is all about. I’ve always just tried to prevent sickness, by following a good diet (with minimum gluten), exercise, practice good hygiene and drinking immunity boosting tonics. When I feel my throat starting to hurt I make an amazingly delicious, super lickable healing paste, that takes away any throat tickles in a jiffy, but enough about the paste this blog post is about my immunity boosting tonic!
This tonic doesn’t require a juicer, but if you’re lucky enough to have a juicer, by all means use it! Filled with good for you ingredients that will give you’re body the extra fighting strength it needs to kick the sniffles right to the curb.
BENEFITS OF ORANGES
- Oranges fight against viral infections.
- Immune booster: with all that vitamin c, it gives you immune system the boost it needs.
- Fights inflammation
- Slows ageing: just an added bonus of oranges that’s got nothing to do with boosting your immunity, but everything to do with vanity!
Benefits Of Lemons
- Excellent source of Vitamin C; an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Balances the PH levels in your body.
- Flushes out toxins in your body.
- Its a great source of citric acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium.
Benefits of Carrots
- Helps boost immune system;When it comes to strengthening your immune system vitamin A plays a vital part (along with vitamin D) and carrots are filled with good old vitamin A
- Helps prevent infection.
- Cleanses the body; Vitamin A assists the body in flushing out toxins and reduces bile from forming in the liver.
Benefits of Ginger
- Anti Inflammatory – Ginger is high in gingerol, a substance that’s a powerful anti inflammatory and filled with antioxidants.
- Prevents Nausea.
- Reduces muscle pain and soreness.
- Helps fight infections.
Benefits of Turmeric
- Anti inflammatory.
- Manages Pain.
- Boost Immunity.
Now with all those benefits don’t you just want to take a sip of this tonic! I grated my carrot before hand as I don’t have a great blender at the moment, and used a little strainer over my glass to strain out the pulp and control how much pulp I wanted in my tonic. Its all up to you, like I said if you have a juicer feel free to use it you will probably have a way more juicy tonic than mine, if using a juicer I would suggest to go easier on the water.
IMMUNITY BOOSTING VITAMIN C TONIC – serves 2 small glasses or 1 and a bit bigger glasses
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 1/2 large lemon, washed well I blend it with the rind.
- 1 large carrot, washed and grated
- 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup of water or add a little more if using the strainer method.
Add all the ingredients to a blender a blend until smooth.
Place a strainer over your glass or a bowl and pour the liquid in. I used a spoon to push through as much of the liquid as I could. Give it a stir, add ice and enjoy. Feel free to sweeten it with honey or maple syrup if you want, I drank it just as is.
It seems like everyone is jumping on the acai bandwagon and like the true follower I am, I decided to jump on and jump right back off. The first time I tried an acai bowl it was just not for me, so tangy and sour, I also got a lot of coconut flakes added, which was a real choking hazard. So off I set in search of a way to like acai and get all those sweet, sweet health benefits.
Filled with antioxidants that will keep those wrinkles at bay and a whole lot of nutrients this smoothie is just the health kick you need! It also looks really pretty. Oh, and don’t forget, its AMAZINGLY delicious!
ACAI STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 1 cup really juicy strawberries
- 1 small pineapple, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 banana, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp acai powder
- 1 tbsp hemp seed powder (optional)
- 1 cup coconut water
Blend everything in a blender until smooth. Pour in your favourite glass, sit back and soak up those beautifying health benefits.
In honour of heritage day, I decided not to fire up the grill like most South Africans and go on a healthier path to celebrate our heritage.
Ah, the trusty Baobab tree, the word is fun to say, its got a jabba the hut look to it and its a great super food. Made from the pulp of the baobab fruit this little powerhouse of nutrients is a serious contender in the super food world. Used for centuries for medicinal uses which include; fevers, malaria, gastroenteritis and vitamin c deficiency, this is obviously a super food that is here to stay.
BAOBAB POWDER BENEFITS
- Helps skin look younger; baobab is part of the anti wrinkle diet. Vitamin C helps your body form collagen and elastin, two proteins that helps your skin support elasticity.
- Helps support weight loss; Adding vitamin C rich food to your diet helps the body burn fat faster.
- Liver cleansing and Detox food; Detox foods helps all the toxins escape out of your body keeping you feeling healthier and happy.
- Powerhouse of minerals ; Filled with calcium, vitamin c, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
Obviously baobab is a super food to get your hands on!
BAOBAB SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 1/2 a papaya, peeled and seeds removed
- 2 passion fruit
- 3 oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 a cup water or non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp baobab powder
- liquid sweetener to taste
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water for a runnier smoothie.
What’s your favourite super food of the moment?
I know the last thing anyone wants to think about during the colder months is eating healthy, but when you don’t get sick during all the fun festivities rapidly approaching, you will thank your lucky stars you did.
Ah, spirulina the green- blue algae of the moment, boy does that sound disgusting and to be complete honest don’t stick your finger in the powder just to try it out….Its really bitter, but with all the health benefits this powder packs you will be chugging down this smoothie at the end of this. Add some lemon with the peel for an extra dose of all those glorious nutrients and you have the smoothie of your dreams. Soon you will be writing long love letters to it and serenading it in the kitchen.
SPIRULINA HEALTH BENEFITS
- Helps with muscle strength and endurance.
- Helps boost Immune function.
- Reduces allergic reactions.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Helps fight certain cancers.
- Its a powerful antioxidant and is a great anti-inflammatory.
- Its extremely high in nutrients. (Protein, Vitamin B1, vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, copper, Iron, potassium, magnesium and manganese.)
- Protects the liver.
- May also help fight infections and antibiotics relates illnesses.
LEMON PEEL BENEFITS
- High in nutrients 5 – 10 times more vitamins than the juice. (potassium, calcium, magnesium, folate, vitamin c and carotene.)
- Reduce oxidative stress.
- Helps fight cancer.
- Helps with the absorption of nutrients.
- Clears sinuses.
- Helps with nausea.
- Helps reduce flatulence and the bloat.
- Helps ease tummy cramps
- Helps congestion.
- Helps absorb nutrients.
- Eases arthritis symptoms.
- Reduces risks of certain cancers.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Boost eye health.
- Promotes weight loss.
- High in iron.
- Filled with antioxidants that can help fight cancers.
- Great anti-inflammatory food.
- Helps with cardiovascular support.
- Great for eyes, skin and teeth.
- High in calcium.
- Detox food.
SPIRULINA PROTEIN SMOOTHIES – serves 2
- 1/2 banana, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 a lemon with rind washed
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled with spoon
- 1 cup kale, chopped and washed
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 heaped spoon protein powder of choice
- 1 cup water or coconut water
- liquid sweetener to taste.
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour in a glass and soak up those nutrients.
If you don’t feel like a smoothie why not sneak a little spirulina into date balls. Yum!