In honour of heritage day, I decided not to fire up the grill like most South Africans and go on a healthier path to celebrate our heritage.
Ah, the trusty Baobab tree, the word is fun to say, its got a jabba the hut look to it and its a great super food. Made from the pulp of the baobab fruit this little powerhouse of nutrients is a serious contender in the super food world. Used for centuries for medicinal uses which include; fevers, malaria, gastroenteritis and vitamin c deficiency, this is obviously a super food that is here to stay.
BAOBAB POWDER BENEFITS
- Helps skin look younger; baobab is part of the anti wrinkle diet. Vitamin C helps your body form collagen and elastin, two proteins that helps your skin support elasticity.
- Helps support weight loss; Adding vitamin C rich food to your diet helps the body burn fat faster.
- Liver cleansing and Detox food; Detox foods helps all the toxins escape out of your body keeping you feeling healthier and happy.
- Powerhouse of minerals ; Filled with calcium, vitamin c, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
Obviously baobab is a super food to get your hands on!
BAOBAB SMOOTHIE – serves 2
- 1/2 a papaya, peeled and seeds removed
- 2 passion fruit
- 3 oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 a cup water or non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp baobab powder
- liquid sweetener to taste
Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water for a runnier smoothie.
What’s your favourite super food of the moment?