The married life came easy to Carl and I, it might be because we were already acting like a married couple the day we met or the fact that Carl told me he was going to marry me that very first day. What ever it was, married life has been amazing for me. Believe me, we’ve had some trying times, times where life was just hard, we’ve moved around so much in the 3 years we’ve been together, people trying to get us down, work issues, money issues, all the issues that generally will show up eventually. For us it seemed like all of it happened during a short period of time like God was just packing in all the trials in one go, instead of having these trials over a 20 year marriage, but through it all we’ve come out stronger, more in love and just grown closer.
10 THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT MARRIAGE
- You’re a team don’t forget that! talk to your partner about your problems or any worries you have. You have a build in team mate that will always be there for you. So don’t be shy, or hide anything.
- Focus on the good qualities; Sometimes the woman demon comes out in me and I get irritated by the smallest thing. For example; The super, insanely loud chewing Carl does. I don’t know where this demon comes from, but wow, I could just throw him off the balcony, just because of his chewing. Being married to such a patient man, that laughs at my weird comments is really amazing. Instead of obsessing about the things you don’t like, focus on the things you love and admire them for and know, this to shall pass, because tomorrow you might feel like a normal woman again, with less issues.
- All trials will pass. Trials come and go, the way you handle it will stay with you. Being supportive and not blowing up, or taking your frustrations out on your partner is key! Saying something horrible during a frustrating moment will just hurt you both and you will regret it later.
- Growing and changing is a good thing. Change is good, I mean if we all stayed the same how weird would that be? you would still be rocking your parachute pants and be all teen angsty. No one wants that! You don’t want to be married to a vampire that’s never going to change, you want to change and grow together for the better, the key is grow together like two trees entwined, instead of growing apart.
- Be Friends; Being best friends with your partner is just the best. Playing and being your complete self with someone is amazing and worth every annoying chew.
- Forgive easily; Forgiving and forgetting is easy when you love someone. So they broke your phone and laptop, its not like it was done on purpose? They already feel bad enough, sometimes its just best to laugh it off.
- always kiss. Always kissing and touching each other deepens your relationship rather than making you feel like you’re just living with a sibling.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Get out of the house! You don’t want to have a relationship based on sitting in a room just watching show after show and finishing it off with a movie. Never actually talking. Get out and explore, have fun, talk! and if you really want to watch a movie go out! Make a date out of it.
- Never stop dating. Connecting one on one is great and is a wonderful way of feeling in love.
- Make yourself happy. Your partner can’t be responsible for your happiness, you have to make yourself happy, before someone else can make you happy.
So far marriage has been one crazy ride, filled with ups and downs, but it feels mostly like ups, because I married my best friend.